Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Pay Attention to Beauty

October 10, 2002

The cool weather has come, and rain. All that is left of the garden are three struggling pepper plants and about a half bushel of tomatoes that will never ripen. On a quick noon walk, I noticed one tomato plant had actually exploded with blossoms again in a frantic but futile protest of the coming frost.
The rain is welcome, but awfully slow – barely more than a drizzle. Supper is now past, and the rain hasn’t amounted to more than a half inch since breakfast. The wet and the chill would be a good excuse for a foul mood, but I am relaxed and reasonably cheerful.
Driving today was tedious, with the constant need to readjust the speed of the windshield wipers. Yesterday, though, driving was pleasant even with an overcast sky. Trees are trying to turn, harvested fields reveal new views and pumpkins are popping up on plenty of porches.
On the way into town yesterday, I was forced by detour to take the road that runs through the college campus. It was mid-afternoon and the campus was quiet. Parked cars were evidence that school was in session, but I saw no students until I crested the hill and happened to spot a pretty coed with an armload of books. I glanced her way and our eyes met, briefly. Her reaction was resentment, and I immediately felt guilty for my glance. I drove on.
Yet, as I drove, I reconsidered. I realize I know next to nothing about this young woman and nothing at all about how other men may have treated her. But I only glanced – I meant no harm and no insult. If anything, I intended a compliment. I did not leer. I did not lust. I did not stop and stare. I merely admired momentarily, without a desire to conquer or possess. Her face and form were a welcome relief from all that was gray and gloomy.
No one ever glances at me, at least not for the reason I glanced at the young woman with an armload of books. I have been spared all firsthand knowledge of what it is like to be beautiful. I suppose it can often be a burden. And I realize that in certain circles, even a brief glance may be considered an insult. Even so, I think I can be absolved, for morals always trump manners and I am convinced that we sin when we do not pay attention to beauty, wherever we find it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home