Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Friday, June 11, 2004

Peanut Butter Sandwich Disposal

June 11, 2004


Chickens will eat a peanut butter sandwich. I learned this yesterday when I made one too many for my kids’ school lunches. It turns out the youngest had her 8th grade, end-of-the-year picnic with food provided by the PTA.
So I had an extra sandwich that I didn’t feel like eating, and I had a small flock of chickens in the backyard who were grateful to get it. I figured they would be, as they are big fans of the stale bread I feed them occasionally. (Nobody in the family eats the crust ends.)
What I’ve learned about chickens in the 14 months we’ve had them is that chickens will eat just about anything. They are pigs with feathers, more or less. Actually, pigs may be more discriminating.
In addition to helping us get rid of a lot of food scraps (no meat), the hens provide a couple dozen eggs a week and Lester, the rooster, creates a nice country ambience by crowing his heart out every morning. We wisely located the chicken house a good distance from the house, so the noise is not too jarring. In fact, we have gotten so used to it that many days can go by without any of us really noticing Lester’s oratorios.
The original purpose for getting the chickens was three-fold. First, it was a compromise with my youngest daughter who loves farms and originally asked for a heifer. Second, it was a chance for me to revisit my own youth, during which I spent many happy hours at my grandfather’s side in the hen house or the barn or out in the fields. Third, I reasoned it would be a great opportunity to teach my daughter the virtue of responsibility and the practical aspects of caring for another living creature.
As it turns out, I do most of the chicken care and what my daughter has learned is how money-laundering works. You see, because she has a brother and a sister, I could never simply give her extra money without being accused of favoritism. But if I buy chicken feed, feed the chickens, water the chickens and gather eggs, she can sell the eggs and get the money anyway.
Up to this point, her siblings have not caught on. If they do, it will only cost me a few extra bucks a week, which is worth it for the virtuous feeling I get when I feed a peanut butter sandwich to the chickens instead of sending it to the landfill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home