Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Around the Corner

We received our first Christmas card and second seed catalog earlier this week, which means it should be winter, but the weather is not cooperating. Not that I'm complaining about mid-60's at the end of November, but it does seem strange. The grass is still growing. I cut it a couple of weeks ago, which seemed ridiculously late, and it could use another trim. I won't mow, simply on principle. I can't do it today, and I will never, ever mow grass in December north of the equator.
A cold blast is said to be right around the corner. It has been sweeping across the West and Midwest and will soon be here, just in time for Sunday's service kicking off Advent. It will help set the mood, I hope. I also hope some of the folks who haven't been as regular in their attendance this fall find their way back into the habit during the run-up to Christmas.
I don't think I would ever like to live in a place where it never got cold, though I always like the idea of taking a winter vacation to some place warm. Spending time on the beach sounds awfully good when you have had to worry about the wind chill for a few weeks. But then, sitting by a fire picking out the seeds for next year's tomatoes sounds pretty good, too. And the time for that is just around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home