Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Friday, December 08, 2006

I Saw Santa

I saw Santa today.
He was in a blue Chevy pick-up, sitting in front of the New Windsor, Maryland, post office, readily recognizable due to his fluffy white beard and familiar red hat. He looked remarkably relaxed, considering this must be his busy season. Evidently, it has been a good year for the elves, and everything is ready to go, or at least ahead of schedule.
I didn't say, "Hi," because I figured he was off duty, and I know a little of what it is like to be bothered on your day off by well-meaning folks who just want to say hello. People don't always understand that this means you have to shift gears and put your game face on. Some days, you just want to blend in, go about your business and be left alone. Of course, if that was what Santa wanted, he shouldn't have worn the red hat.
Sure enough, an older lady who saw him after I did, shouted, "Hi, Santa!" He smiled and said, "Hi," back. She stopped at the window of his truck and they had what appeared to be a friendly conversation. I was inside by that time and couldn't hear what they were saying, but they were both smiling. Maybe she told him what she wanted for Christmas this year, and he said, "You bet!" or "No problem."
I read in a magazine the other day about a Santa Claus convention, somewhere in California, where several hundred men who look like Santa gathered to trade advice and war stories. The article said some of these guys make as much as $12,000 in the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas, playing the part of Santa at malls, in parades and at private parties. But most of them say they don't do it for the money; they just enjoy bringing joy into the lives of others.
I like to bring joy into the lives of others, but I don't think I'd do so as Santa even if I could. As it is, I am at least thirty pounds underweight and I'd have to dye my hair. Besides, my beard isn't thick enough. I'd have the scraggliest beard of any Santa you ever saw. Fortunately, there are plenty of other ways to bring joy into the lives of others. Lately, I've been doing a pretty good job of it with butter spritz cookies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home